Monday, March 10, 2014

Change


Looking out this window I no longer see the Blue Ridge Mountains. That’s been replaced with cluttered streets full of close-together homes and duplexes. There aren’t Chic-fil-a’s, Hardee’s or Bojangles that dot every corner. Instead we have Dunkin Donuts and a ton of great places for Chinese food. “Y’all” has been exchanged for words missing the letter R, while freezing cold and snow has made way for freezing cold and snow. As my dad put it, I’ve spent the past six years “vacationing” in Massachusetts. Now it’s time for me to finally move back.
 

                There was something ironic about Spring Break being the time I left Lynchburg. A lot of my friends left the city before I did. That truthfully made saying “Goodbye” a lot easier, and it allowed me more time for packing, which I’m pretty slow at doing anyways. It’s little things like this that make me think I’ve made the right choice in coming back to Lowell. Even though my new job/life will be more exciting and fast-paced. More people-oriented and less Third-Shift Janitorial. I can’t help but feel that I left a big part of my heart in Lynchburg. That will change in time, I hope.


                It’s lightly snowing outside, and as I eat Crab Rangoon and Pork Fried Rice for breakfast (judge away) I can’t help but think of 2 Corinthians 12:9 (ESV):

“But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” 

The only reason I am here today is because of grace. If you could only meet and hear the other finalists you would understand. I had no business being in the same room with most of them for anything other than say “People who currently exist.” It wasn’t like I was intimidated by them, but I just felt like in the grand scheme of things those people were more likely to have this special opportunity than say a once-homeless Puerto Rican  janitor from Lowell. God saw things differently though, and tonight I will be going into orientation for my new job.

 
                Can I tell you something? As bizarre as all this may seem. My past few years make sense now. All the closed doors. All the late-night interventions. The still small voice telling me to not give up. I finally know why… God has brought me a long way. Back to the city and people I love, and He’s told me: “Don’t worry, just be willing.” So I will be, and I am. What will this next chapter look like? Absolutely no idea. But that’s what it was like in my last chapter too, and look how that turned out.

Enjoy some beautiful music

No comments:

Post a Comment